vrijdag 5 februari 2010

Omdat dit is, hoe het leven er voor mij uitziet.

Dear Loved One,



I am sending this letter to help you understand my feelings as I deal with HMS/HEDS and the changes it brings to my life. I am scared. I don't know what the future holds for me. Will I end up disabled, in a wheelchair or will I be one of the lucky ones. If you find me being quiet and reflective, please don't think I am upset with you. I am trying to sort out my fears.
I am angry. HMS/HEDS has taken so much away from me. I can no longer do many of things I enjoy doing. I sometimes have difficulty just completing simple tasks. If I appear angry please understand it is the disease I am angry with, not you.
Please don't assume you know what is best for me. HMS/HEDS has affected my joints, not my mind. I am capable of making my own decisions. If I make the wrong decision, it is I who has to deal with the consequences. I still want to be part of the "gang." Please continue to invite me to participate in activities. I'll decide if I am capable of it. You may think you are being considerate by not inviting me to go ice-skating with everyone else, but it hurts when you exclude me. Maybe I can't skate with everyone else but I can bring the hot chocolate and watch.
Don't tell me how Auntie Mary cured her joint problems by drinking vinegar or any other supposed remedy. I have done much research and I keep up on current treatment options. I speak with my doctor regularly, if there is a possible treatment out there, I will know about it.
Please don't tell me you know how I feel. You don't. Don't offer me sympathy; I don't want your pity. But do offer me support and understanding, which I appreciate. I know sometimes I look perfectly healthy, but looks can be deceiving. Please understand that I am dealing with invisible pain and a lot of fatigue. Even on a good day I feel like you do when you have the flu, tired, achy and sore. Please keep that in mind.
I want you to know that the pain from HMS/HEDS moves around. Just because I climbed the stairs yesterday doesn't mean I can do it today. Yesterday my shoulder was throbbing; today it is my knee, who knows what it will be tomorrow.
Finally, please remember that I am the same person I was before I was diagnosed with this; HMS/HEDS doesn't change the heart and soul. I still laugh, I still cry. I still love and I still hate. I am me, I am not my disease. Please continue to love me just as you did before. I need lots of love, understanding, support and hugs, just like you.




Niet zelf geschreven.

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hij is echt goed hé??;)
    Ik heb hem gestolen van een website over HMS.
    Vind hem zo fijn om te lezen:D
    Houvanjou!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Wauw...
    Heel goed beschreven, al had ik eerst het gevoel wat HMS was. Maar toen ik het las, herkende ik het beetje bij beetje.
    Het is een hele mooie tekst, en ik denk dat het heel goed is verteld in, hoe jij je ook voelt.
    Meisje, weet er zijn altijd mensen voor je.

    Lovee.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Hee meid,
    Bedankt voor je superlieve reacties altijd bij mij. Het helpt me echt om vol te houden en vind het echt fijn om te weten dat er nog iemand meeleest. Hoe gaat het nu met jou in de Swing? Hopelijk komt er voor jou ook langzaam verbetering in, want dat verdien je echt; je lijkt me echt zo'n lieve, slimme meid. Weet dat ik echt nog steeds aan je denk ook al reageer ik niet zo vaak en dat ik je web-log in de gaten houd. Heel veel sterkte!

    Liefs,
    Nina

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen